So you might have noticed that, aside from the Blood on the Snow draft chapters, it’s been a wee bit quiet over here for the last few months.
Don’t worry, nothing’s happened – and that’s pretty much why there’s been a drop-off in updates, to be honest. Nothing’s happened. For sure, plenty of stuff’s happened in the wider world (and dear gods, this year just keeps on happening so much, apparently), but over in our terraced space station, we’ve mostly been keeping our heads down and trying to get on with the business of living through a global pandemic without acquiring too much in the way of Fun And Exciting Mental Health Fuckery.
To give you a quick overview of what’s going on with the writing, though:
- I hit 50,000 words on my NaNoWriMo 2020 project today – first win since 2016, and I will absolutely sodding take that.
- Related to the above, the first draft of Blood on the Snow is now actually finished (only took two years longer than I hoped it would, but that’s writing for you). The rest of the chapters’ll be going up on the same schedule I’ve been using all year, so expect to see those in the coming months.
- The first draft of Silver in the Ashes is now 6 chapters in, so we’ll see where that ends up going (and how much it means I have to rewrite the existing draft of Fire in the Sky, since we’ve now got a couple of characters who didn’t exist when that draft was being written).
- I may or may not have written over half a thousand words of drabbles set in a genderflipped version of the Argentum ‘verse somewhere in the middle of this week, due to a migraine knocking my brain completely out of NaNo headspace. There’re possibly some short stories coming from that AU, since ‘Lone Wolf And Cub/The Mandalorian, but with an assassin/spy pair of murder!lesbians’ (well, okay, Yulia’s bi, but you get my point) is a fun basis for one-off adventures.
- [REDACTED COOL WRITING THING] – more on this one when I’m allowed to talk about it, but I promise you it’s cool (and caused much excited hand-flapping).
That’s… pretty much all happened this month, because apparently 2020 is like that. Current plans for December involve a little less writing and a lot more reading, since I bought a whole pile of books this month and have been saving them until after NaNo.
(Also those drabbles I mentioned above? Look out for those at some point in the future, once I’ve tidied them up a bit and worked out how to write an intro to that AU that makes any sense to anyone other than me).
One thought on “A quick update”